Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bionic Woman. On Again, Off Again, On Again?

Now that the writer’s strike is over and people are probably comfortably back at their computers typing away the next exciting season of BLANK, I am combing the web for updates on the status of my favorite shows. I admit, I took a couple of trips in January so I was out of the country for two weeks but how did I miss the news that one of my most promising favorite shows was rumored to be cancelled?

I could hardly believe it. I gave Bionic Woman a great review of the premier for the BSFA, so you could imagine my disappointment. The final version that appeared on television was not the one I actually saw. It was re-edited for some rather ridiculous reasons but still, I liked the televised version even if it was watered down a bit and made some of the characters a lot less interesting and deep than I’d have liked to see them.

Then, the roller coaster ride took a dramatic turn. I found the next result on Google showed that TV Guide reversed course. Bionic Woman had not been cancelled at all. According to the article a source at NBC said that, “Bionic Woman has not been cancelled. Production was shut down due to the WGA strike. In addition, we have not completed the initial 13-episode order, which will be the first order of business when the strike ends.”

I am happy again. First, the characters have been going through the usual, first season paces, with thin storylines that feel a little rote. But I had (have?) faith that the snippets of secondary story line were (are?) going to make the shows much more interesting at time goes on.

With the strike over, we’re going to need to be patient since everything has been on hold for month and now we have to reinvest our time into getting to know the stories and characters again.

It may be a little daunting, but I think Bionic Woman has some life left in her yet.

If this news saying that the other news was not true turn out to be true.

No comments: